Vacancy: knowledge and data engineer
For a project on Bias in Open Knowledge Graphs we are looking for a knowledge and data engineer.
The candidate will develop an application to automatically detect the different kinds of bias in Linked Open Data. This will be done through the utilization of machine learning and descriptive statistics. The application will support fact-checking, or evaluating the representativity of statements in knowledge graphs.
The candidate will actively engage in the following activities:
- Designing a platform where data (knowledge graph) and sensitive attributes as well as a selection of entities can be uploaded and analyzed.
- Implementing a data profiling system.
- Designing a dashboard to display the results of the analysis.
The objective of our project is to develop a system that given a set of sensitive attributes (gender, ethnicity, etc) or a selection of entities, generates an overview about the representativeness of the data in a given knowledge graph. Our system can be seen as a magnifying glass that highlights points of interest within large datasets and expresses these to the user.
The candidate joins an interdisciplinary team working in critical data studies (Utrecht Data School) and the department for computer science at Utrecht University. The project is funded through a grant from SIDN Fonds. Project leaders are dr. Mel Chekol and dr. Mirko Tobias Schäfer.
- Bachelor’s degree in AI, computer science or a related field.
- A solid background in software development, databases, and system architecture.
- Knowledge and experience with semantic web technologies (SWT): knowledge graph, linked (open) data, ontologies, SPARQL etc.
- Knowledge/experience in knowledge modelling using SWT.
- Fluent in Java and Python programming languages.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Independent and motivated.
- Good communication skills.
What we offer
- An interdisciplinary and enthusiastic team
- Learning opportunities
- Salary according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities
For questions about this position please contact Mirko Tobias Schäfer at firstname.lastname@example.org