Call for Participants | UDS Summer School 2019: ‘Exploring Culture Through Data’
Utrecht Data School welcomes students (and non-students) from all Universities to join us in 5-day crash course in data practices and digital methods. During this week we will acquire the handles and perspectives to study culture through data practices. We are happy to invite you to the 2019 Utrecht Data School summer edition that will take place at Utrecht University, from 19-08-19 to 23-08-19.
Registration: Utrecht Summer School
What will we do?
From Monday 19th of August until Friday 23th of August, we will host a full week of workshops, tutorials and presentations. Participants learn about data practices that make up so much of our everyday lives, and receive training in digital methods and the data analysis with which they can analyse the ever advancing datafication. During the first three days, participants get acquainted with some of the (methodological) fundamentals of Digital Humanities, like data collection, data selection, network analysis, and an introduction in Python and Tableau. Thursday and Friday will include a ‘pressure cooker’, in which participants will be working in small teams trying to apply their freshly gained skills on a (small) real-world case. The rest of the schedule will be filled with lectures, student-presentations, and various social activities. We conclude the Summer School with Pannenkoeken. Successful completion of the UDS summer school will result in 2 ECTS credits and will be rewarded with a UDS Summer School Certificate of Participation.
- This will be the chance for humanities students and (beginning) researchers to learn about the basics of digital methods, in a hands-on fashion. It will enrich your methodological understanding both practically and theoretically.
- This Summer School will be at entry level, and the learning curve will be steep. We are committed to the educational character of this summer school, so participants will have extensive tutelage. We truly believe that this could be the start of your Digital Humanities or Data critic career!
- For (international) students who are enrolled in the Master’s program New Media and Digital Culture in Utrecht, but lack the computational methods skillset, or have no clear understanding what data-literate research within the humanities means, this summer school is strongly recommended. The students will get a head start on working with computational tools. The program will be complimentary to – but not overlapping with – the Master’s program.
- We are committed to working hard, but also to playing hard. This will be a great way to start your academic year, get to know the town, the university, and its people.
The practical stuff
Date: The summer school will be from August 19th, 2019 to 23 August, 2019. You are expected to make full office days, while the social activities afterwards are optional.
Preparation: Before the start of the summer school, participants have to read three articles and send in a small profile of themselves (around 150 words) for an introductory booklet.
Address: The registration on the first day will be at Drift 13, at the Janskerkhof square in Utrecht. This will also be our home base for the week.
Fee: A registration fee of 500 EUR is applicable for students. A fee of 400 EUR is applicable for UU students and accepted (pre-)master students for our MA New Media and Digital Culture. A fee of 1000 EUR is required for non-students.
If the Summer School is unexpectedly cancelled, participants will get a full refund.
What is included in the fee?
For all participants UDS summer school will provide:
- 2 ECTS
- Teaching and study materials
- Welcome drinks
- Lunch and snacks
- Coffee breaks including the beverages
- A certificate at successful completion
UDS Summer School will not provide, and you will be expected to provide for yourself:
- A working laptop (and mouse)
- Accommodation is not included in the fee. Participants who are in need of accommodation during the UDS Summer School (from 19-08-19 until 23-08-19) can be accommodated by the Utrecht Summer School institution for the estimate of 200 euros for 5 days.
Deadlines & Key Dates
01-03-2019 – Open for registration
31-07-2019 – Closed for registration
31-07-2019 – Deadline for Payment
Check in Monday 19th of August 2019 at 8.30h @ Utrecht Data School at Drift 13
How to apply?
If you are interested you can apply by going to the Utrecht Summer School website. Your application email should contain your (academic) background and your motivation for applying.
After the application, the applicants will receive a notification to inform you that UDS has successfully received the application. Subsequently there will be a selection procedure based on the applicant’s file. Participants will receive confirmation of admission by email before the 1st of July. The email will also provide you with further information on the Summer School and with the means to pay. Upon acceptance the applicant has until the 31st of July to comply with fee. Enrollment will be secured only after the payment is received.
Students of all disciplines are welcome! Our team consists of media and literary scholars, philosophers and sociologists – among others – who all benefit greatly from the use of digital methods, and a critical understanding of our datafied society. Although the Summer School is at entry level regarding computational methods, we do expect a certain level of academic maturity. Therefore, we will not admit students with less than 67,5 ECTS at bachelor level and encourage students who are not yet in the final stages of their bachelor to apply next year.
The number of participants will be limited to 40, so don’t wait too long to apply. The Utrecht Data School reserves the right to cancel the Summer School in the event of less than 15 applicants. In that instance a complete refund will be provided.
Do you have any questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.